Friday, December 22, 2006

An "A Man Was Lynched Yesterday" Campaign

I was struck with an idea today. A low cost, high effect campaign to keep people aware of what is going on in Darfur on a daily basis. In the early part of this century Americans citizens who were concerned about the lynching of black, would fly banners in the cities of the U.S. to make people who would otherwise be unaware of what happened. Here's a picture of one such banner.

I think that this kind of campaign, in cities around the world can be extremely effective at a low cost. Activists would need a minimal amount of funds for material and paint and could paint the banners themselves. Beyond that, all that is needed is a willing building owner/occupant from which to fly the banner. and then teams can update the banners with recent news. My brother and I would be willing to work with anyone in NYC who would be interested in this kind of campaign and can even use our uptown apartment as a base of operations.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Grant,

I found your blog through the Save Darfur coalition. I'm interesting in your project and Darfur activism in general. Are you going to the rally on MLK at the UN?

Monique
cinema13@aol.com

(My quasi blog: cinnamonbun74.gather.com)

January 13, 2007 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger gcp said...

Hi Monique, I am glad you did! I am new at the blog thing and almost deleted the comment, I did not realize I had it set to moderate them, I fixed that. What are the details about the rally? I would love to go.

Thanks

January 13, 2007 at 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the details:
Monday, January 15 at 2:00 PM
Duration: 2 hours
Host: sharon silber
Location:
Isaiah Wall (across from UN) (New York, NY)
43 st and 1st Ave
New York, NY 10017

Drop me an e-mail if you plan on going: cinema13@aol.com

January 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

DarfurScores.org: Calling on Congress to Stop Genocide